Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tightwad Tuesday



Being Frugal has a regular Tuesday blog on a Frugal topic. This week is about Frugal Yard Sale shopping. I have to admit I am not a big yard sale shopper. I have on occasion seen something advertised and gone for that item specifically. I always take a small amount of cash to prevent impluse buys.

I will say however I do have yard sales about every other year. I usually try to have a few baked goods and soft drinks available for purchase. I always sell out of the baked goods so it you are trying to be frugal take snacks and drinks with you. This would be a great money saver.

My other frugal tip is to keep a couple of old milk jugs, fill with water, freeze them, then move one to your fridge and rotate daily. This extra ice in the fridge helps to reduce the need for the fridge to run.

9 comments:

Suzy said...

Smart idea about bringing a small amount of cash when yard-sale-ing! Yikes! Coming home with a bunch of un-needed stuff is not good!

Be sure to stop over at my blog and pickup this really neat award that I've given you!

Anonymous said...

I love the baked goods idea and the ice in the frig! Wonderful tips, thank you.

One Gray Hair At A Time said...

These are great ideas. I want to thank you also for your sweet comment about my photo.

Melissa said...

Love the idea of keeping a jug of ice in the fridge! Thanks!

Holley said...

I have never thought about the jug trick. Great info! Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Coco said...

Thank you for the jug of ice idea. I'm gonna try it as soon as I have a space in my freezer.

BTW, I love the pictures of your daughters. Your daughters are so gorgeous.

Lois Christensen said...

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. Love yours! Love the tip on the milk jugs in the refrigerator as I have an old refrig in our garage and the freezer is always full, but not the bottom part. Am going to start saving my milk jugs and fill it up so it's more efficient. We always have a yard sale at church every year and I bake cookies every year. They are always the first to go. One year a lady just bought all of them. I think baking for a yard sale is a great way to make some money as well! Enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

These are great tips! I have yard sales every other year too and I go to a lot of yard sales-love them! I actually collect change in a jar to spend at garage sales-lol. That way I don't feel bad and when it's gone it's gone!

~~Mel~~ said...

What a great idea baked goods is at a yard sale...now I would have never thought of such a thing...thanks!