Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Post Offices

This must be my day for sweet puppy things that touch my heart. When I got this story in my email I just had to share.....





Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.. She asked if we could
write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is
with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have
her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her.
She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so
when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and
addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she
said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.
That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A
few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her
that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies..' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.

On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a
big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her
spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved
being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any
pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this
little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by..
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you
write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I
picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember
that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever
there is love.

Love, God

Isn't it wonderful that someone took the time to show such kindness to this family. We all need to show more kindness everyday.

12 comments:

Princess Christy said...

Um, aw. I believe that my dogs will be waiting for me when I arrive in Heaven - how great the a postal worker took the time to reinforce this little girl's faith, and make a hard time in her life a little harder.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is really wonderful!!! Wouldn't it be nice if the post office had a person in each office to read things like this and help? But I guess it would be against all the rules. Sometimes kindness is.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That is so sweet!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

My eyes filled with tears as I read this. That is a wonderful story.

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful story. Wonderful. Heartwarming.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a sweet touching story. Thank you for sharing it.

Jenna said...

That made me cry....It's so nice that there are people out there that care and this just proves it...this is the best post I read today...have a nice week denise!:o)

myevil3yearold said...

That made me cry. I am fearing they day when our 12 year old boxer, Apollo leaves this world. I will be upset but my children will be devastated. I think I might suggest we write a letter to God. Your daughter had a beautiful idea.

Chatty Crone said...

That is one beautiful story - there are so many great people out there. (You are one too).

sandie

Cindy Caudle said...

Wonderful story. Made me tear up. It is so wonderful that someone took the to time to send some comfort to a child. She will remember that kindness for the rest of her life.

Shay said...

That was a wonderful story and so nice of someone to take the time to respond and send something back to such a loving, little girl.

Laurence and Sidney said...

So sweet.
Reminds me of my favorite quote:
I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to somebody's need made me blind; But I never have yet Felt a tinge of regret for being a little to kind