Tuesday, March 10, 2009

To Coupon or Not to Coupon?

I was asked to speak at a Women's Club meeting this morning about "couponing". I have always used coupons but I have only begun maximizing coupons in the last few months. I have seen a decrease in my grocery bill and I am getting a good stockpile on some items and I have to admit not so great in other areas.

I was asked the 2 (I think) most common questions. The first "Is it worth the effort?" and the second "Isn't generic cheaper?".

For me the answer to the first question is yes it is worth the effort. I love getting good deals. I love getting stuff for free. It makes me feel good and I am able to give more items to our local charity. Plus I don't spend as much on groceries. I am defiantly learning in this area.

The answer to the second question is no generic is not always cheaper. I do still buy some generic. It has a good price when items I need are not on sale. With Kroger and Walmart being my only real options in my small town I have found I can get the deals without buying generic.

As I mentioned in the meeting this morning I am going to do a better job at letting you know the deals as I get them and try to provide more links to coupons and sites I use for more information.

Sandy at Organizing with Sandy has some thoughts on this too. She is trying to work out the coupon thing.

I hope to be able to post pictures of my coupon binder soon.

3 comments:

~~Mel~~ said...

I need to jump on this bandwagon. The thought of clipping coupons and saving them seems overwhelming...but I bet the rewards are worth the effort.

Together We Save said...

Well stay tuned as I try to make the process easier.

Lisa P@www.isitmondayalready.com said...

Yes maam its worth it, I get so irked when people (the same ones that complain about money) say they dont have time or its not worth it. If you saw a dollar on the ground would you pick it up? Yeah well if I saw a dollar coupopn on the ground that I could use thats the same thing FREE money LOL