Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tightwad Tuesday


My Tightwad Tuesday Tip?


Vinegar!!!


As you can see from this picture we have weeds in our gravel walkway. We usually poison them with weed killer several times a year. I have concerns with doing this because of our small house dog, the kids (really the neighbors kids, our are bigger now), and of course the cost. So I read a couple of weeks ago that vinegar sprayed directly on the weed will kill it. So this past weekend we tried it.


What do you think?




I think it worked really well. Direct sun helped kill them the best I think. But I am very pleased with the results. The area did smell of vinegar for a couple of days but I can live with that.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Vinegar is great for many uses. We put it in our laundry to soften and deodorize. It also is a great carpet freshener. We mix some with water, put it in a spray bottle and spray the carpet. It smells like vinegar for a couple of hours, but goes away pretty quickly.

It also adds a great little zing to devilled eggs! LOL!

Julie said...

I will be trying this as my weeds are starting to come up through our mulch and I just found an extra gallon of vinegar I forgot I bought.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I am totally gonna have to try that. I always forget about vinegar. Thanks for stopping by my blog, also. I'm lovin' yours. :)

Mrs. Money said...

Whoa!! That is awesome!! I love vinegar and never thought about using it to kill weeds. Thanks for the tip!

John Deere Mom said...

I am going to try this for sure. Thanks!!

Janet said...

Thanks so much for that great tip. I'm definately going to try that.