Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grandmother's Dishes

I just wanted to share some these pictures of my grandmother's dishes and her pie safe. My grandmother is 97 years old. She has just recently moved from her apartment into a nursing home. I am very blessed to have had her in my life for so long. She is blind and can't hear well at all but other than that she is very healthy.

She has a great love for dishes and I always have too. I am so lucky that my sister and cousins allowed me to have this cabinet and many of her dishes. I have a small sampling on display and more things in the cabinet below. I was also able to mix in a few pieces from my mother-in-law's dishes too to make a beautiful balance. I am planning to add a picture of my grandparents to make this more complete.

I believe this cabinet was my great-grandmother's before my grandmother got it. She had it refinished several years ago. Other than that it is just as it was when it was purchased. I just love it.

5 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

This collection as well as the cabinet itself is beautiful. You are so lucky to have it in the family...A real treasure!

Unknown said...

The cabinet is beautiful, as are the dishes inside! You are not only blessed to have these things that belonged to your grandma, but you are blessed to have a sister and cousins who are generous enough to let you have them because they know you will enjoy them so much!

Nancy

Frances said...

How beautiful! It was so nice that you were able to get them. It is so refreshing to hear about family that cares about each other instead of just what they can get.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Gorgeous and you are fortunate to have her that long. Beautiful cabinet and dishes.
Kim

~~Mel~~ said...

Very beautiful!